The Patchworks software comes with comprehensive documentation, including tutorials and sample datasets. You can work step-by-step through real problems with our user-friendly 'Quick Tours'. In addition to self-paced learning, Spatial Planning Systems has developed a comprehensive curriculum to deliver Patchworks software training to your organization. Courses are held periodically in our office and can also be given at your site, or can be delivered through interactive online sessions.
Please contact us for further information.
Patchworks for Planning Partners
- How Patchworks develops solutions
- How strategic, operational and spatial concerns are represented
- The types of analysis that are possible and how they are carried out
- How results and the process will differ from aspatial models
- The types of reports and outputs that are available and how they should be interpreted
- The best practices for a structured analysis, from strategic analysis to operational refinement
This course is designed to provide planning teams with a high-level overview of the analysis workflow. The intent is to help teams understand modeling options and issues and design a process that works best for their needs. The desired outcome of the day is shared agreement and understanding on project expectations, roles, responsibilities, opportunities for participation, review and reassessment points, and the key milestones in the process.
Introduction to Patchworks
- Patchworks overview
- Setting up an analysis
- Understanding Patchworks controls and features
- Setting up a PIN file
- Dataset and model preparation overview
- Building Patchworks road network data
- Topology and patching
- Structure analysis
- Making sense of output
Each section includes a series of consecutive exercises that culminate in an exercise that mirrors a real-world management situation. This course is oriented to analysts who will be actively using the Patchworks software. It briefly describes the steps required to build a modeling dataset.
- The Patchworks data model
- Best practices for organizing projects
- Understanding the ForestModel language
- Organizing spatial input data
- Patchworks Input (PIN) file and scripts for model definition
- Advanced accounting
- Patches - definition, accounts, reports and modeling
- Transportation modeling
- Creating reports
This course is oriented to analysts who are using Patchworks on a frequent basis and want to learn the automation shortcuts and be able to fully customize their models.